Monday, May 23, 2011

Son of the Singing Brain

MANDY
Well little Tillie, she's such a dear, I mean she talks a blue streak, she's such a sweet little package, I just want to pick her up and run away with her. Oh, someday...

BRAIN
Someday -what, darling?

MANDY
Oh, nothing, nothing

BRAIN
Mandy...

MANDY
I'm so sorry, Charles, ever so sorry

BRAIN
Mandy, please...

MANDY
I've never regretted marrying you. Never thought twice. I meant it, you know in all those interviews when I said I was the luckiest woman in the world -especially for a Hollywood wife. I love you, Charles.

BRAIN
I know, Amanda. And I love you. Supposing there was a way for us to...

MANDY
You mean like getting a dog ?

BRAIN
No. A way...

MANDY
A cat ?

BRAIN
No. Wait, listen...

MANDY
Oh please, not Ham again. I know you worked together, but he's such a little monkey.

BRAIN
No. Not a monkey. Wait. Listen. A way for you...

MANDY
Oh no. Charles. Oh no. Please don't say it

BRAIN
Wait, not just any child

MANDY
Peter Lawford's?

BRAIN
No. Not Peter Lawford. Wait, what?

MANDY
What? You said not just any child.

BRAIN
What? Yes. Not just any child. My child.

MANDY
Your child.

BRAIN
Yes.

MANDY
You.

BRAIN
Yes.

MANDY
Me.

BRAIN
Yes.

MANDY
Now?

BRAIN
Well, whenever, really.

MANDY
How?

BRAIN
Well. Supposing. Just for a minute that there was more of me.

MANDY
Really? Where?


BRAIN
Oh not here. Suppose they saved more of me.

MANDY
You mean, your body!

BRAIN
Not that much.

MANDY
Oh. So your...

BRAIN
Yes

MANDY
And your

BRAIN
Yes

MANDY
They kept it?

BRAIN
Yes

MANDY
They kept it?

BRAIN
Yes

MANDY
Why did they keep it?


BRAIN
Science

MANDY
Does it still...

BRAIN
Presumably. I mean it always worked before

MANDY
Of course. And how would I...

BRAIN
However you thought was... whatever you felt like...

MANDY
Would you want me to...

BRAIN
You could...

MANDY
And...

BRAIN
That would probably help

MANDY
And then I would

BRAIN
Yes, that would be next

MANDY
And it would

BRAIN
All things being equal

MANDY
And then

BRAIN
Inevitably

MANDY
Really?

BRAIN
I'm sorry I mentioned it. Please forgive me. I just want you to be happy.

MANDY
Oh, but I am happy, Charles

BRAIN
I'll never mention it again, I'm so ashamed

MANDY
Please don't be, my love

BRAIN
I just thought I'd tell you, so you would know -everything. I didn't tell you before because, I didn't think you'd be interested.

MANDY
Oh Charles, my dear sweet Charles. I love you just the way you are. I didn't fall in love with you for any other reason or any other way.

BRAIN
Thank you.

MANDY
Charles... since you brought it up... supposing I was interested...

BRAIN
Oh?

MANDY
Well, curious.

BRAIN
Oh Amanda, you don't have to...

MANDY
Curious for myself, Charles. I mean, I am your wife. I've never even...

BRAIN
We'd have to find it.

MANDY
Oh. Well, how would we start looking?

BRAIN
Well, we'd start with my address book

MANDY
Am I looking for a receipt, or a ticket or something?

BRAIN
No, no, we'd need to make some calls

MANDY
What's the first number?

BRAIN
Dr. Cory -Patrick. Wait, Amanda, stop. I don't need you to do this for me.

MANDY
Charles, not everything a wife does is just for her husband's benefit

BRAIN
I don't know what to say

MANDY
It's ringing. -Well, don't say anything, dear, I'm on the phone.

Charles, I love you -Hello, this is Amanda Foster -yes the lady married to the Singing Brain...

No comments:

Post a Comment